Discord: Not Only For Gamers But Also For Businesses
June 18, 2022 | Business | No Comments
Discord is increasingly becoming a communication platform for many businesses. Find out what the service has to offer. Not just for gamers.
Gamers used to use TeamSpeak or Skype to talk to their friends while gaming – until 2015 Discord came along. In the meantime, Discord has blossomed into the number one gaming communication center. More than 100 million players use the service every month, and there are also millions of communities around every imaginable title. Now Discord wants to really take off: The company plans to develop the platform into a communication tool for everyone, not just for gamers.
Granted, there’s not much Discord can do that you can’t get elsewhere. On the one hand, it’s similar to Slack in that it combines public channels with simple side chats and other communication options. Discord also has a Reddit feel to it, where there are tons of discussions on just about any topic. And like any other chat tool, there are simple status indicators to see who’s online and what’s going on. However, the combination of all these functions is unique. Discord also offers some practical extras. Here, you will get to know the five best ones.
Read also: How The Gaming Industry Is Continuously Growing
Five Useful Tips When Using Discord
1. Create a poll in Discord
- Navigate to this website. Click on Invite, select your server in the next step and confirm with Authorize.
- Back in Discord, you will get the message that the Pollmaster has joined the server (“Pollmaster is here”). Now type the command pm!quick into the chat and confirm with the Enter key.
- By launching a survey wizard. First, enter the question and then the possible answers. Finished.
2. Use your own emojis
- You need server rights for this. Click on the server name in the top left and open Server Settings.
- Click Emoji and Upload Emoji. This will open an explorer window that will allow you to upload images stored on a disk. The maximum image size is 256 kilobytes.
- If you want to use your emoji, type a colon plus the name of the image file into a chat.
3. Start screen sharing
Screen sharing started quickly in Discord. The only requirement is that you are in a voice chat.
- In the left column, you can find the Cast Screen button at the bottom. Click on it.
- In the next step, select which areas of the screen you want to share, for example, the entire screen or only specific programs. Make your selection and start sharing by clicking Share or Go Live.
4. Use hotkeys in Discord
One of the most useful Discord tips is to use keyboard shortcuts, which allow you to access certain functions more quickly and conveniently.
For example, if you want to use an emoji in a chat, press the Ctrl + E keys at the same time. The combination Ctrl + Shift + U is used if you want to upload a file. Here is an overview of the most important commands:
- Shift + Up Arrow: Jump to the oldest unread message
- Alt + Shift + Up/Down Arrow: Scroll through unread messages
- Escape: Mark the entire chat as read
- Shift + Escape: Mark the entire server as read
- Ctrl + E: Show Emoji window
- Ctrl + Shift + D: toggle mute on and off
- Alt + up/down arrow: Switch between chats
- Ctrl + Alt + Arrow up/down: Switch between servers
- Open the user settings and in it the hotkey menu, not only do you see all the available keyboard shortcuts, but you can also add your own hotkeys.
5. Organize Discord servers
When you have a lot of servers on your list, it quickly becomes confusing. Thankfully, there’s an easy way to manage your Discord servers: organize them into folders.
It’s very simple: Hold down the mouse button and drag a server icon on the far left of the program onto the icon of another server so that a small plus sign appears. If you now release the button, you have created a new folder in which you can add several servers in the same way. Then click on the folder to expand it.
How to Resolve Issues with Discord Mic
There are reports about the desktop version of Discord – Discord mic not working. InverseGeek, an independent tech website featured in their blog about how to resolve this issue.
One of the most annoying issues that users face while using Discord is when they don’t hear their friends talking in the discord call.
The issue with Discord Mic not working can be resolved by following these steps:
- Make sure you have your computer speakers plugged into your computer and that you are not muted.
- Make sure your microphone is plugged in and not muted.
- In Discord, go to Settings > Audio > Microphone and make sure “Auto-Mute” is unchecked.
Discord is a popular messaging platform where people can talk to each other in real-time. Get to know its features to use for your business communications.